Many people are trying to stay healthy with as few pharmaceutical drugs as possible. Luckily there are many natural herbal health products available to help with a multitude of ailments. You should always research any supplement you are thinking of taking. Some may have adverse reactions or side effects that are unpleasant or detrimental to your health. Whether you are trying to boost your immune system or improve your mood, your local drugstore or health store should have a variety of supplements on hand.
Here are a few of the more popular herbal supplements and what they are used to treat:
• Bilberry can help improve visual acuity and is an excellent antioxidant that strengthens capillaries and collagen.
• Dong Quai can help relieve menstrual disorders and menstrual cramps. It is also used to relieve menopausal symptoms.
• Echinacea is used to stimulate the immune system with anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial effects.
• Feverfew is used for migraine headache prevention and for arthritis, rheumatic diseases and allergies.
• Fish Oil Caps supply omega-6 fatty acid DHA and EPA, which can help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
• Ginger is used widely as an anti-nauseant. Many pregnant women take ginger to help relieve morning sickness.
• Ginkgo Biloba is used as an antioxidant and circulatory stimulant. It is widely used to help improve memory.
• Ginseng is used to improve physical and cognitive performance as well as enhance the mood.
• Kava Kava is used as a sedative and muscle relaxant. It is often used to help ease anxiety.
• Licorice Root is used for gastric and duodenal ulcers.
• Ma Huang is used in weight loss and energy products and has a powerful stimulant effect; however, more than 800 adverse reactions were reported to the FDA.
• Melatonin regulates many hormones involved in controlling the circadian rhythm. It is used for jet lag, insomnia and seasonal affective disorder.
• St. John's Wort is used as a mild anti-depressant and sedative.
• Valerian relieves anxiety, nervousness and insomnia.
• Vitamin E is used in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease, cancer and age-related degenerative diseases.
The list of herbal supplements is endless. It is very important to take your health seriously and discuss any conditions you may have with your doctor. Some conditions will require pharmaceutical drugs and/or medical intervention. However, there is a vast area of herbal supplements that may help you in one or more areas of your health. Always talk to a doctor and be aware of side effects. Just as drugs affect people differently, natural herbs may have different reactions as well.