BMW stands for "Bayerische Motoren Werke", this is an independent German company founded in 1922 but it is said that its origins go way back to 1913 or around the years of pioneering German aviation. BMW not only produces vehicles but it also manufactures and distributes high quality motorcycles.
BMW is also the parent company of brands such as MINI and highly prestigious Rolls-Royce. MINI is actually the name of a Cowley, England based subsidiary as well as that of a car produced by it. This type of car is said to be marketed as a retro design of the original Mini which was a small car produced around 1959. The most recent popular class is the Mini Cooper.
Rolls-Royce on the other hand, is the manufacturer of the high performance luxury car recognized world wide. This is also a subsidiary of BMW which is responsible of the Rolls-Royce Phantom production and development. Rolls-Royce Plc. the British aircraft engine manufacturer was privatized in 1987 and is considered the second largest in the world after General Electric Aviation, so this particular name brand goes a long way.
The most prominent and recent models this subsidiary has produced are: the "Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe" and the "EX-10".
BMW vehicles are classified according to "series", some of them are:
* 1 Series: The 1 series is an entry-level vehicle introduced to the market in 2004. This series is expected to be launched in the US in 2008 in the 128i and 135i.
* 3 Series: This series is also known as the compact executive type of car. The most recent models are the sport coupe (E92) and the sports coupe convertible (E93).
* 5 Series: This is also known as a mid-size luxury/executive car and it is this particular series the one used to run tests and experiment new things. Recent models are: the E60 and the M5.
* 6 Series: This series is known as the grand touring luxury sport coupe. Popular versions are the 645i (convertible), 650i (coupe) and the M6 which is a high performance vehicle within the 6 series.
* 7 Series: Due to its design it is referred to as the full-size flagship executive sedan. This particular series features several groundbreaking characteristics such as the iDrive and also the first Hydrogen-powered luxury performance sedan. A prominent example within this series is the 760Li.
* X3 and X5 Series: These are SUV type of vehicles, the X5 is referred to as a mid-size luxury SUV which has been in the market since 2000. Some examples are: the BMW X3 and the E70 BMW X5.
* Z4: This is the 2 seater roadster and coupe which succeeded the Z3, a good example is the Z4 M.
There are many more categories within the BMW production line and since its vehicles are among the best in the world, this company has and will compete against other prestigious companies such as Ferrari and Benz.